Six killed as Al Jazeera bureau chief arrested during protests in Sudan

The CCSD said the latest casualty was a 15-year-old man, who died in Khartoum state’s East Khartoum Hospital after being shot in the stomach.

During the march on Saturday, five people were reportedly killed by the armed forces.

The CCSD said several injuries were caused by ammunition and military brutality in Khartoum, the capital of Sudan. Difficulties have been reported in transporting the injured protesters to the hospital.

Pro-democracy activist groups called for a “million man” march on Saturday against undermining democracy, after the head of Sudan’s armed forces, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, announced the formation of a new ruling sovereign council on Thursday.

On Sunday, Al Jazeera’s Khartoum bureau chief, Al Musalmi Al Qabashi, raided his home and was arrested by Sudanese military officials, according to a statement released by the media network.

Al Jazeera wrote in a press release, “Al Jazeera strongly condemns the reprehensible actions of the military and calls on the authorities to immediately release El Qabbashi and allow its journalists to practice their profession without fear or intimidation.” calls for.” Statement.

“In a world where the media and journalists face increasing threats, Al Jazeera sees this as an attack on the freedom of the press as a whole and calls on international human rights and media organizations to condemn this violation of the protection of journalists.” invokes.”

CNN is reaching out to Sudanese officials for comment. According to Reuters, Sudanese police said they did not use firearms during the protests, which they said started off peacefully but went off track. He said 39 policemen were injured and stations were attacked, leading to arrests.

Pro-democracy protests across the country on Saturday and Sunday followed several days of civil disobedience last week – but participation seemed limited by continued interruptions to internet and phone connections.

Internet services have been severely disrupted and phone coverage has been weak since the October 25 coup. Although daily life almost came to a standstill at the time of the coup, shops, streets and some banks have reopened.

The coup halted a power-sharing arrangement between the military and civilians, which had been agreed upon after Bashir’s coup and was to lead to democratic elections by the end of 2023.

Top citizens, including several ministers, were detained, and Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdoki Was placed in house arrest.