New Delhi, January 13
Nearly 20 months into the military standoff, India and China have so far failed to agree on resolving all points of friction along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in eastern Ladakh.
Edit: for the long haul
The 14th round of the Corps Commander-level meeting concluded 13 hours later at 10.30 pm on Wednesday, held on the Chinese side of the Chushul-Moldo border point.
The MOD statement said…
- Both sides should follow the guidance given by the state leaders and work to resolve the remaining issues at the earliest.
- Both sides have agreed to remain in close contact and maintain dialogue.
no blame game
The statements issued this time were not as blunt as those issued after the 13th round of talks on October 10, 2021, when they blamed each other for the failure of the talks.
hot springs logjam
- There is no immediate release of troops from Patrol Point (PP)-15, also known as Hot Springs, sources said.
- As a result, the Indian Army will stick to its position and position on the LAC. There are around 75,000 troops from both sides in the sector.
Hope some people refrain from commenting ‘unconstitutional’. China on General’s remarks
Sources told The Tribune that troops from Patrolling Point (PP)-15, also known as Hot Springs, would not be removed immediately. As a result, the Indian Army will stick to its position and position on the LAC. Weapons, equipment, tanks, artillery guns and other high technology surveillance systems will also be around. There are around 75,000 troops from both sides in the sector.
A statement issued by the Defense Ministry on Thursday evening said that representatives of defense and foreign affairs establishments of both sides were present in the meeting. “They agreed that both sides should follow the guidance provided by the state leaders and work at the earliest to resolve the remaining issues.”
The statements issued by the two sides were not as sharp and sharp as those issued after the 13th round of talks on October 10, 2021, when they blamed each other for the failure of the talks.
This time, the statement said: “The two sides have agreed to remain in close contact and to maintain dialogue through military and diplomatic channels and to work mutually. An acceptable solution to the remaining issues at the earliest.” It also spoke of agreeing to hold the next round of commanders’ talks at the earliest. Since June 2020, 14 rounds of talks have taken place. However, with partial success. , but for now the troop mobilization on both sides shows no signs of returning to the level before April 2020. In talks yesterday, India and China agreed that the two sides will consolidate “past results” and Will make effective efforts to maintain security and stability in the western region.
The sources cited “past results” mentioned in the statement with respect to PP-17, PP-17A, and the north and south shores of Pangong Tso, a 135-km glacial lake. India shares an 832-km-long LAC with China in the Eastern Ladakh sector.
Yesterday, at a press conference in the capital, Army Chief General MM Naravane had outlined a three-stage process to defuse the standoff: withdraw troops, de-escalate tensions and then withdraw all troops, weapons and equipment. “We have to remain there (LAC) till these steps are completed,” he said. He had said that each round of talks may not have an “outcome”.
In June 2020, a deadly skirmish took place in Galwan, in which both the sides died. The gun shot (the first since 1967) was fired across the LAC in August 2020 and has resulted in at least two face-offs in which dozens from both sides have been injured.