Victims of Tangshan restaurant attack injured, say Chinese police

The attack, which took place in the early hours of June 10, saw several women being repeatedly kicked and punched by a group of men. It sent shock waves across China after surveillance footage of the incident was leaked online.

A day after the attack, Tangshan police issued a statement saying that the two women were hospitalized with “non-life-threatening injuries” and were in “stable condition”. No other information given. Along with the victims, their friends and family are also silent.

On Tuesday, 11 days after the attack, and 10 days after the initial statement, the Public Security Department of Hebei province, where Tangshan is located, issued a second, longer statement, saying the two women, aged 31 and 29, were “He has been admitted to the general ward for treatment and his condition has improved.” It added that the other two victims, aged 24 and 29, did not require hospitalization.

According to a forensic report cited by police, the women admitted to the hospital suffered “second-degree minor injuries”, while the other two received “minor injuries”.

10 days notice black hole had repeatedly given rise to allegations Leaked surveillance video captured only part of the attack, and the violence remained off camera in a nearby street – a claim that CNN could not independently verify.

In an apparent attempt to refute such rumours, Hebei police said in a statement on Tuesday that the suspects fled the scene at 2.47 a.m., seven minutes after the attack began; And at 2.55 pm the four victims were sent to the hospital by ambulance. According to the statement, local police officers arrived at the restaurant at 3.09 a.m., about half an hour after the public received a call at the beginning of the attack.

But the statement was met with unreliability online, with many officials criticizing the handling of the case. a Related hashtags 450 million views on Weibo within hours.

A user on China’s Twitter-like platform Weibo cited the lack of access given to journalists, saying, “Therefore there are no photos or videos. Journalists are not allowed to interview (victims), and only you.” information can be released.”

“City without credibility – do we dare to trust the injury report? And how credible is this police statement?” User added.

In the aftermath of the attack, Chinese officials have sought to suppress discussions about gender-based violence and focus on local mass violence.

State media reports have mainly focused on police’s swift action in arresting suspects, and a two-week “storm” campaign announced by Tangshan authorities to crack down on organized crime. Photos and videos of police officers – some armed with guns – standing behind customers at the outdoor barbecue restaurant, where the incident took place, flooded social media.

'It could happen to any of us': Graphic video of men slapping a woman's head shakes China to the core

Police said in a statement on Tuesday that the four suspects had traveled from eastern Jiangsu province to Tangshan three days before the attack in order to conspire with the other five to “commit illegal online gambling and money laundering activities”. Many of them had criminal records ranging from illegal detention to intentionally causing harm to others, the statement said.

Police officials have also launched an internal investigation into whether the local police station has failed to respond in a timely manner, and whether they have violated any laws and regulations while enforcing the law. A deputy chief of the local police station has been suspended, the statement said. I