Tennis star Nick Kyrgios finds it ‘difficult’ to focus on match amid assault allegations

The Australian, who defeated Chile’s Christian Garrin in straight sets to reach the semi-finals after allegedly assaulting his ex-girlfriend late last year, has been called to court in Canberra next month, according to Australian news reports.

Asked about the incident after his latest victory, Kyrgios said he was advised not to speak openly about the matter, but was willing to explain his side.

“Obviously I have a lot of ideas, a lot of things I want to say, I have my side about it,” he told reporters.

“Obviously, I have been advised by my lawyers that I am unable to say anything at this time.

“I understand that everyone wants to ask about and about this, but I can’t tell you much about that right now.”

After his theatrics at the start of the tournament – which resulted in a penalty and Stephanos Tsitsipas Saying that the Australian had a “bad side” to his character – Kyrgios’s quarterfinal match was more subdued and the 27-year-old relied on his skills and mindset to reach his first Grand Slam semi-final.

Kyrgios said the report of the court summons broke the day before he was taken to grass court, and after saying it didn’t really affect him, Kyrgios said it was difficult.

“Really didn’t impress me at all, to be honest with you,” he said. “Apparently, looking at it – I’m only human.

“Obviously, I read about it, and apparently, everyone was asking questions. It was tough. It was hard to focus on the mission at hand.

“Today was the quarter-finals of Wimbledon. I know deep down that I was ready for it. It didn’t affect my preparation.

“I knew I stayed true to myself and gave my best today.”

Barrister Jason Moffett, who is reportedly representing Kyrgios, told The Canberra Times, which first reported the news, that he had been briefed on the court summons, which “referred to domestic relations”. ” was.

“The nature of the allegation is serious, and Mr Kyrgios takes the allegation very seriously,” Moffett told The Canberra Times.

“Given that the matter is in court… he has no comment at this stage, but in the fullness of time, we will issue a media release,” Moffett said.

Amid reports of Kyrgios being officially charged, Kyrgios’ legal representation clarified in a statement sent to CNN: “At the present time, the allegations are not considered as fact by the court, and Mr. The charge of the offense is not considered until the first appearance.

“Until the court has formally admitted the prosecution, to proceed with a charge, and that the charge before the court is to be applied to a person called to appear, it shall be open to the public To describe the summons in other ways may be misleading. Formal instructions to face charges, the exact nature of which are neither definitive at this time nor confirmed by the prosecution or Mr. Kyrgios.”

Kyrgios will take on Rafael Nadal in the Wimbledon semi-finals on Friday.

CNN’s Amy Woodyatt and Matt Foster contributed reporting.