Rajasthan CM meets family of slain tailor, asks NIA to fast track the matter

Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot on Thursday met the family of Kanhaiya Lal, a tailor in Udaipur, who was allegedly hacked to death by two men, Mohammad Riaz and Ghaus Mohammad, for sharing his remarks. BJPNupur Sharma on Prophet. Speaking to reporters outside, Gehlot said that he wants the National Investigation Agency (NIA) to file the chargesheet in a fast-track court at the earliest.

Meanwhile, both the accused were produced in a local court here, from where they were remanded to 14-day judicial custody. A senior police officer said that the NIA will seek his remand. Rajasthan ATS officials said the state police had sought judicial custody of the two accused so that a trial identification parade could be conducted.

In Delhi, NIA sources said the agency was exploring the involvement of a self-motivated local terrorist group along with an international conspiracy. “We have not taken the accused into custody yet. Their electronic equipment is still being forensic examination. An NIA official said, it is too early to conclude whether the accused were part of any terror group or they acted on their own.

“NIA should take up the matter in fast-track court. The charge sheet should be filed at the earliest so that punishment can be awarded,” said Gehlot, who was accompanied by state Congress chief Govind Singh Dotasara, Revenue Minister Ramlal Jat and Director General of Police ML Lather. “We want the NIA to conduct a time bound investigation and see how the accused can get punishment within a month. People are angry. I hope NIA understands these sentiments.

Alleging that the state police did not provide security to Lal despite the threat complaint, Gehlot said it was “natural that allegations are made at such times” and the NIA will probe all angles.

“The chief minister met us today and gave us a check of Rs 50 lakh. He also assured that one person from the family would be given a government job,” said Yash, son of Lal.

Earlier during the day, while talking to ANI news agency, Gehlot said that the Udaipur incident was not an act of enmity between two religions but an act of terrorism. He also appealed to the people to maintain peace. Gehlot later went to a local hospital where Lal’s employee Ishwar Singh, who was injured during the attack, is undergoing treatment.

On Wednesday, Rajasthan’s Minister of State for Home Rajendra Singh Yadav had said that Ghaus Mohammad had gone to Karachi in 2014 and was calling Pakistan “for the last 2-3 years”. DGP Lather had said that Ghaus had gone to visit the office of Dawat-e-Islami in Karachi. DeL is a Sunni Islamic conversion group founded in 1981 in Pakistan.