Police confirm deaths of teenagers missing in North Wales after ‘tragic accident’

1/21/13/missing%20boys.jpg?width=1200&auto=webp" />

Bodies have been found in the police search for four teenagers who went missing on a camping trip in Wales.

A massive search operation was launched for Jevon Hirst, Harvey Owen, Wilf Henderson and Hugo Morris after they failed to return home from an overnight trip to the Snowdonia area in Gwynedd.

Their bodies were were recovered from a silver Ford Fiesta which appears to have left the road on the A4085 at Garreg, near Tremadog.

A police cordon remains in place between Garreg and Pont Aberglaslyn


Supt Owain Llewelyn, of North Wales Police, said: “At present, this appears to have been a tragic accident, and our thoughts are with the family and friends of the four young men at this very difficult time.

“This has been an extensive search involving a number of different agencies and volunteers, and this is sadly not the outcome that any of us would have wanted.

“We would ask that the family be afforded the appropriate privacy and respect.”

They were last seen on Sunday in the silver Ford Fiesta, while their vehicle was found by search teams on Tuesday following information from a member of the public.

A police cordon has been set up on the A4085 between Garreg and Pont Aberglaslyn and the road remains closed.

Earlier today, an air ambulance was seen in the area and two ambulance service vehicles drove through the cordon near the villages of Garreg and Llanfrothen.

The Welsh Ambulance Service says it was called at about 10:08am to reports of an incident near the A4085 between Nantmor and Tan-Lan in Gwynedd.

North Wales Police believe it was a ‘tragic accident’


“We sent an operations manager, two emergency ambulances and two Cymru High Acuity Response Units to the scene where we were supported by the Emergency Medical Retrieval and Transfer Service in two Wales Air Ambulance charity helicopters,” it said.

All four boys had been studying for their A-Levels at Shrewsbury College, with Harvey’s mother Crystal Owen that they were “all sensitive, intelligent lads”, who had last used their phones at around midday on Sunday.

The teenagers’ worried parents reposted on social media the police appeal for information, with one writing: “Please keep sharing … if anyone knows anything or can think of anything that may help find the boys please contact the police. We are desperate for any news.”

Another wrote: “I am frantic with worry, one of these boys is my son Harvey, please please please share and tag anyone in Wales or get in touch with any information you may have.”

Crystal Owen, the mother of Harvey, said she did not know they were going on a camping trip and thought they were going to stay at friend’s grandfather’s house.

It is understood they were on a camping trip in Snowdonia


“I am frantically worried, we haven’t slept a wink, we are desperate to chase any lead we can,” she told the BBC. “If I’d have known (where he was going) I wouldn’t have let him due to the winter weather conditions.

“They are all sensitive, intelligent lads and we are just hoping they parked up, got lost and are OK.”

It is believed that the teenagers had been camping in the Eryri area of north Wales, a remote part of the country. Eryri National Park, also known as Snowdonia, is Wales’ largest national park, covering a total of 823 sq miles.

Dwyfor Meirionnydd Member of Parliament, Liz Saville Roberts and Senedd Member, Mabon ap Gwynfor said: “This news is truly heart-breaking and foremost as parents, our thoughts go out to the families and friends of the four young men whose lives have been tragically lost in this dreadful incident.

“We would like to pay tribute to the emergency services and local mountain rescue teams involved in the search operation and to members of the public for their assistance in helping to locate the vehicle. No words can sufficiently reflect the sorrow that this news brings to our whole community.”