McDonald’s infested with rats has been ordered to close

0
73

McFurry and Fries: Rat-infested McDonald’s is ordered to close after inspectors find a dead mouse in a cupboard and droppings in the kitchen

  • McDonald’s restaurant in Leytonstone, east London has been ordered to close
  • Inspection on October 15 found rat droppings and rats in the storage cupboard
  • The branch was ordered to close after the Thames Magistrates Court issued an order










A McDonald’s restaurant has been ordered to close after mouse droppings were found in the kitchen and a dead rat in a storage cupboard.

Customers were forced to leave the branch in Leytonstone, formerly London, after an inspection found an active mouse infection shortly before lunch.

The October 15 incident is believed to be the first time a council has closed McDonald’s for poor hygiene in more than 20 years.

The restaurant remains closed, and McDonald’s owners were unable to say when it would reopen.

A McDonald’s restaurant in Leytonstone, east London, has been forced to close following an inspection following an active mouse infestation.

Environmental health officials investigated the branch after receiving a complaint from a customer who suggested the fast food restaurant was harboring rodents.

Environmental health officials investigated the branch after receiving a complaint from a customer who suggested the fast food restaurant was harboring rodents.

The McDonald's branch in Leytonstone, east London, was ordered to close after the Thames Magistrates Court issued a Sanitary Emergency Prohibition Order on 21 October.

The McDonald’s branch in Leytonstone, east London, was ordered to close after the Thames Magistrates Court issued a Sanitary Emergency Prohibition Order on 21 October.

Environmental health officials had received a complaint from a customer who suggested that fast food restaurants were harboring rodents.

This was immediately confirmed when a dead rat was discovered in the storage cupboard.

During the inspection, droplets were also found throughout the kitchen and other areas of the restaurant.

The McDonald’s branch was ordered to close after the Thames Magistrates Court issued a Sanitation Emergency Prohibition Order on 21 October.

The order means restaurants cannot reopen until necessary improvements are made and the risk to the public is removed.

The Company has agreed to cover the £1,821 expenses of the Council associated with the formal winding up action.

Councilor Clyde Locks, deputy leader of Waltham Forest Council, which oversees food hygiene in the city, said: ‘We take all complaints about food hygiene very seriously, no matter how big or small the business.

‘Clients should be able to dine in confidence and safety and we will not hesitate to act when businesses do not meet their responsibilities.

‘We know McDonald’s has a good record for cleanliness, which is why these cases are so rare and I think this is the first time council officials have closed a branch in more than two decades. .

A rat was found in the restaurant's storage cupboard during a health and safety inspection

A rat was found in the restaurant’s storage cupboard during a health and safety inspection

On October 15, droplets were found throughout the kitchen and other areas of the restaurant.

On October 15, droplets were found throughout the kitchen and other areas of the restaurant.

McDonald's said it was working with pest prevention and was taking immediate action after the branch was found to be infested with rats.

McDonald’s said it was working with pest prevention and was taking immediate action after the branch was found to be infested with rats.

Rats carry a variety of diseases that can infect humans and cause real harm. I am glad that the company has acknowledged its failures in this incident and is cooperating with the council officials.

The company is still unsure when they will be able to welcome customers back.

A McDonald’s spokesperson told MailOnline, ‘Cleanliness and hygiene are of paramount importance to us.

‘As soon as this issue was brought to our attention, we worked with our pest prevention partner to take immediate action, which included extensive cleaning of the restaurant and the completion of a number of structural works to ensure that any Sanitation issues to be dealt with permanently.

‘We are working closely with environmental health officials to ensure that the restaurant can be safely reopened as soon as possible.’

advertisement

.