Israel-Hamas war live: reports of fresh strike on Jabaliya refugee camp; ‘75% of Gaza’s population’ internally displaced

t5">

Reports of fresh strike on Jabaliya refugee camp

Hani Mahmoud has been reporting from Khan Younis for Al Jazeera during the course of the war, and he says that the recent strike on Jabaliya refugee camp by Israel has left “tens of people killed and more buried under the rubble”.

He reports: “The number is rapidly increasing because these are very densely populated areas. It is difficult for rescuers to reach these people. They are also being targeted.”

Another Al Jazeera reporter has told the network “the scale of destruction is beyond description”, and that an entire residential block was levelled to the ground with many people inside.

More details soon …

Key events

“Gaza’s population will soon begin dying from diseases as well as Israeli bombardment,” UNRWA said on Sunday.

“People have lost everything and they need everything,” the UN agency for Palestinian refugees added.

Over 15,000 Palestinians have been killed in📍#Gaza – including over 6,000 children and 4,000 women – since the war began.

People have lost everything and they need everything.

Gaza’s population will soon begin dying from diseases as well as Israeli bombardment. pic.twitter.com/nt6vebmdri

— UNRWA (@UNRWA) December 3, 2023

Israeli strikes have disrupted health facilities, water and sanitation systems which the World Health Organization (WHO) warned will increase the risk of disease spread.

“The situation is particularly concerning for almost 1.5 million displaced people across Gaza, especially those living in severely overcrowded shelters with poor access to hygiene facilities and safe water, increasing risk of infectious diseases transmission,” the WHO said last month.

Yemen’s Houthi movement targeted two Israeli ships on Sunday with an armed drone and a naval missile, a spokesperson for the group’s military said, Reuters reports.

The spokesperson said the two ships, Unity Explorer and Number Nine, were targeted after they rejected warnings from the group’s navy.

ICC prosecutor to ‘intensify’ investigations into Israel and Gaza

International Criminal Court prosecutor Karim Khan said that he will “intensify its efforts to advance its investigations” of possible crimes committed by Israel and Hamas following a visit to Israel and Palestine.

In a statement released on Sunday, Khan said that he witnessed “scenes of calculated cruelty” at locations of Hamas’s 7 October attacks on Israel.

He added:

The attacks against innocent Israeli civilians on 7 October represent some of the most serious international crimes that shock the conscience of humanity, crimes which the ICC was established to address.

In my meeting with the families of the victims of these attacks, my message was clear: we stand ready to work in partnership with them as part of our ongoing work to hold those responsible to account.

Khan, who also visited Ramallah, said that he spoke with the families of Palestinian victims and said: “We must never become numb to such suffering.”

He added:

In relation to Gaza, and notwithstanding any ongoing violations of international humanitarian law by Hamas and other armed groups in the Gaza Strip, the manner in which Israel responds to these attacks is subject to clear legal parameters that govern armed conflict.

Conflict in densely populated areas where fighters are alleged to be unlawfully embedded in the civilian population is inherently complex, but international humanitarian must still apply and the Israeli military knows the law that must be applied.

Khan also added:

All actors must comply with international humanitarian law. If you do not do so, do not complain when my office is required to act.

A US warship and multiple commercial ships came under attack Sunday in the Red Sea, according to the Pentagon, the Associated Press reports.

“We’re aware of reports regarding attacks on the USS Carney and commercial vessels in the Red Sea and will provide information as it becomes available,” the Pentagon said.

The British military earlier said there had been a suspected drone attack and explosions in the Red Sea, without elaborating.

The Pentagon did not identify where it believed the fire came from. However, Yemen’s Houthi rebels have been launching a series of attacks on vessels in the Red Sea, as well as launching drones and missiles targeting Israel as it wages war against Hamas in the Gaza Strip.

Qatar is demanding an “immediate, comprehensive and impartial international investigation” into what its prime minister called Israeli crimes in Gaza, according to Al Jazeera, Reuters reports.

Sheikh Mohammed Bin Abdulrahman al-Thani also said Qatar would continue its efforts towards facilitating another truce and reaching a permanent ceasefire in the besieged enclave, Al Jazeera added.

One of the three Palestinian students shot in Vermont last month has been left paralysed from the chest down after a bullet lodged in his spine, Reuters reports the student’s family saying.

Last month, Hisham Awartani, a 20-year-old junior at Brown University, was walking to his grandmother’s house for dinner in Burlington, Vermont, alongside his friends Tahseen Aliahmad and Kinnan Abdalhamid, when the three students were shot.

In a statement released by Awartani’s family, they said:

“Hisham’s first thoughts were for his friends, then for his parents who were thousands of miles away. He has demonstrated remarkable courage, resilience and fortitude – even a sense of humour – even as the reality of his paralysis sets in.

We, his family, believe that Hisham will change the world. He’ll change the world through his spirit, his mind and his compassion for those much more vulnerable than himself, especially the thousands of dead in Gaza and many more struggling to survive the devastating humanitarian crisis unfolding there.”

According to charging documents filed in court, the students were wearing Palestinian keffiyeh scarves and speaking a mix of English and Arabic when police say the gunman, 48-year old Jason Eaton, shot them with a handgun.

The shootings came amid a surge in anti-Arab, anti-Islamic and antisemitism sentiments across the US as the war between Israel and Hamas escalates.

Israel’s airstrikes are leaving no safe place for Palestinians in southern Gaza while a health crisis across the strip continues to grow due to a scarcity in basic services.

The Guardian’s Kaamil Ahmed reports:

Mounds of rubbish now dot the landscape of southern Gaza, sprouting in the areas where the enclave’s population has clustered in search of safety from Israeli airstrikes.

Israel has repeatedly warned residents of northern Gaza to move south, forcing the population into an even smaller living space, where food and water shortages have combined with a breakdown of services, including rubbish collection, that threatens a health crisis.

Evacuees have had to deal with these living conditions while still facing danger. Airwars, which monitors harm to civilians, said last week that it had documented reports of 127 incidents involving explosive weapons within the “safe zone” in the first week after Israel’s warning on 14 October.

For the full story, click here:

Summary of the day so far …

It is 5pm in Gaza City and Tel Aviv. Here are the latest headlines …

  • The UN humanitarian agency (OCHA) said that about 1.8 million people – roughly 75% of Gaza’s population – are internally displaced, up from a previous figure of 1.7 million. “However, obtaining an accurate count is challenging,” it said.

  • A Gaza health ministry spokesperson has said that several people were killed by an Israeli airstrike on Jabaliya refugee camp. Local media reported: “A residential square containing at least 300 people, half of whom are children, was just completely flattened to the ground.”

  • On Saturday evening, the Israeli prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, held a press conference vowing to continue the ground assault “with increasing force”, saying it was the only way to achieve Israel’s goal of “eliminating Hamas and releasing our hostages”. He said the IDF and security forces were continuing the ground incursion while upholding international law – a claim that has been repeatedly called into question by some human rights observers and world leaders.

  • Israel’s military claims to have found about 800 shafts leading to Hamas tunnels and bunkers since the IDF began its Gaza ground operation on 27 October. It said it had destroyed more than half of them.

  • Israeli settlers attacked two Palestinian villages in the occupied West Bank late on Saturday, killing one man and torching a car, Palestinian authorities said. The Palestinian ambulance service said a 38-year-old man in the town of Qarawat Bani Hassan, in the northern West Bank, was shot in the chest and died as residents confronted settlers and Israeli soldiers.

  • Seven Palestinians were killed and several others were injured in an Israeli raid on a house east of Rafah city in southern Gaza, the Hamas-led interior ministry said on Sunday. Hamas and Palestinian group Islamic Jihad also announced “rocket barrages” against a number of Israeli cities and towns, including Tel Aviv. The IDF announced the deaths of two soldiers – the first since the end of the week-long truce on Friday.

  • The deputy Hamas chief, Saleh al-Arouri, told Al Jazeera on Saturday that no more hostages would be exchanged with Israel until there was a ceasefire in Gaza, Reuters reports. According to Arouri, the hostages still held by Hamas were Israeli soldiers and civilian men who had previously served in the Israeli army.

  • The chief prosecutor of the international criminal court said on Sunday that his office would “further intensify its efforts to advance its investigations” in the occupied Palestinian territories, after he visited the region for the first time since his appointment. There have been widespread claims of breaches of international law by Hamas and Israeli forces since war erupted.

  • Israel’s military has reported that “several IDF soldiers were lightly injured” as a result of anti-tank fire at a vehicle in the area of Beit Hillel in northern Israel.

  • Two rockets have hit a residential area in Sderot in southern Israel. There are no reports of any casualties.

A Gaza health ministry spokesperson has said that several people were killed by an Israeli airstrike on Jabaliya refugee camp.

Footage obtained by Reuters of the aftermath of the strike showed a boy covered in grey dust, sitting weeping amid crumbled cement and rubble from collapsed buildings.

“My father was martyred,” he cried.

A girl in a pink sweatshirt, also coated with dust, stood between piles of rubble saying: “No, no, no.”

The Quds News Network has published footage of what appears to be the aftermath of the strike. It reports: “A residential square containing at least 300 people, half of whom are children, was just completely flattened to the ground.”

The Guardian has not independently verified the footage.

Halima Abdel-Rahman, a widow and mother of four in Gaza, has told Associated Press that she won’t heed Israeli evacuation orders any more. She told the news agency that she fled her home in October to an area outside Khan Younis, where she stays with relatives.

“The occupation tells you to go to this area, then they bomb it,” she said by phone. “The reality is that no place is safe in Gaza. They kill people in the north. They kill people in the south.”

The Israeli military has issued some more photographs of what it claims are Hamas tunnels and infrastructure within the Gaza Strip.

A view shows the entrance to what Israel’s military says is the shaft of a Hamas underground tunnel that was uncovered in the Gaza Strip. Photograph: Israel Defense Forces/Reuters
A view shows the entrance to what Israel's military says is the shaft of a Hamas underground tunnel that was uncovered in the Gaza Strip.
A view shows the entrance to what Israel’s military says is the shaft of a Hamas underground tunnel that was uncovered in the Gaza Strip. Photograph: Israel Defense Forces/Reuters

Israel’s military has been reporting intermittent siren alerts in communities near the Gaza Strip during the last hour-and-a-half.

The chief prosecutor of the international criminal court said on Sunday that his office would “further intensify its efforts to advance its investigations” in the occupied Palestinian territories, after he visited the region for the first time since his appointment.

There have been widespread claims of breaches of international law by Hamas and Israeli forces since war erupted after the deadly 7 October attacks by Hamas and other militants that killed about 1,200 people, mostly civilians, in southern Israel, AP reported. Around 240 others were taken hostage.

The Hague-based court has been investigating crimes in the Palestinian territories committed by both sides since 2021 but has yet to announce any charges. Israel is not a member state of the court and does not recognise its jurisdiction.

Prosecutor Karim Khan said in a written statement issued after his visit that he witnessed “scenes of calculated cruelty” at locations of the 7 October attacks.

“The attacks against innocent Israeli civilians on 7 October represent some of the most serious international crimes that shock the conscience of humanity, crimes which the ICC was established to address,” he said, adding that he and his prosecutors are working “to hold those responsible to account”.

He added that he is ready to engage with local prosecutors in line with the principle of complementarity – the ICC is a court of last resort set up to prosecute war crimes when local courts cannot or will not take action.

Khan also visited Palestinian officials in Ramallah, including the president, Mahmoud Abbas.