India did not repeat the first use of N-arms

Tribune News Service

New Delhi, 7 January

India has welcomed the first-ever joint statement made earlier this week by the five “recognized” nuclear powers about avoiding an arms race and not targeting each other or any other state.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Arindam Bagchi said the statement reaffirmed the importance of addressing nuclear threats and expressed the desire to work towards creating a more conducive security environment for progress on disarmament with the ultimate goal of a world without nuclear weapons. Underlines. Comment on the statement by the leaders of China, France, Russia, Britain and the United States, permanent members of the United Nations Security Council.

The statement was issued after the NPT review, which began on Tuesday, was postponed due to the pandemic. Although India and Pakistan have tested nuclear weapons, they are not considered nuclear powers. “India has a no-first-use posture and the principle of maintaining a credible minimum deterrence based on non-use of nuclear weapons against non-nuclear weapon states,” the Ministry of External Affairs said.