Gujarat: SIT formed to arrest gangrape accused; NGOs under scrutiny

A Special Investigation Team (SIT) has been constituted on Tuesday, three weeks after a 19-year-old Vadodara girl student allegedly committed suicide in a compartment of Gujarat Queen train in Valsad after sexually assaulting her. Registering a case arrested the two accused about whom the girl had mentioned in her diary.

The Vadodara police has also started a probe into the “suspicious conduct” of the NGO to which she was linked.

A six-member SIT consisting mainly of Railway Police officials has been constituted to nab two unidentified persons accused of allegedly sexually assaulting the victim on the night of 29 October in Vadodara.

The SIT is headed by Subhash Trivedi, Inspector General of the State Crime Investigation Department (CID) and consists of two supervising officers—Vadodara Railway Superintendent of Police Parikshit Rathod and Vadodara Deputy Commissioner of Police, Crime, Jaideep Singh Jadeja. The SIT also includes Vadodara Railway’s Investigating Officer Deputy SP BS Jadav as well as Vadodara Railway Police Inspector SB Jadeja, Surat Railway Police Sub-Inspector KM Choudhary and Valsad Railway Police Sub-Inspector JB Vyas.

Vadodara city police commissioner Shamsher Singh told Indian Express That the police is also probing the credentials of the NGO with which the victim was associated as their conduct has been “suspicious”.

Singh said, “We have not yet come across any previous criminal record of the NGO, but the details and allegations have come to the fore…we are probing it. Question on the conduct of those three people of the NGO in this particular case.” Standing up, those who knew about the gang rape did not report the crime to the police…”
Singh said the last text message sent by the girl to two members of the NGO by train, which is said to have died by suicide, was not reported even about an hour before.

“Though our investigation indicates that his message about kidnapping in the train and threat to his life was not true, both the persons did not inform the police about such message,” he said.