Gaddafi’s son disqualified as presidential candidate by Libya’s election commission

Libya’s top electoral body said on Wednesday that the son and one-time successor of the late Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi has been disqualified from running in next month’s presidential elections.

According to a list of barred candidates released by the country’s Higher National Election Committee, Seif al-Islam Gaddafi is ineligible because of previous convictions against him. He is likely to appeal in the court against the committee’s decision in the coming days.

was safe al-islam sentenced to death In 2015 by a Tripoli court for its use of violence against protesters who were calling for their father to step down, but that decision was called into question by rival Libyan authorities.

He is also wanted by the International Criminal Court on charges of crimes against humanity. Revolt against his father in 2011,

After years of UN-led efforts to usher in a more democratic future and end the country’s war, Libya is set to hold its first round of presidential elections on December 24.

Adding to the complexity and concerns surrounding the election, the UN’s top envoy for Libya recently decided to step down, though he said on Wednesday that he was ready to stay if needed through a vote.

Following the coup and assassination of Gaddafi, oil-rich Libya has spent most of the past decade divided between rival governments – one based in the capital, Tripoli, and the other in the country’s eastern side.

Each side in the civil war is also supported by mercenaries and foreign forces from Turkey, Russia and Syria and other regional powers.

Read also: Former Libyan ruler Gaddafi’s son runs for president

son of former Libyan dictator Submit your candidature papers In the southern city of Assembly, 650 kilometers (400 mi) south of the capital of Tripoli, on 14 November. The 49-year-old, who earned his PhD at the London School of Economics, appeared in public for the first time. years.

He was captured by fighters in the city of Xintan in late 2011, the year in which the popular uprising, supported by NATO, overtook his father after being in power for more than 40 years.

Muammar Gaddafi was killed in the same year In the midst of an upcoming battle in October that would turn into a civil war. The dictator’s son was released in June 2017.

The announcement of his possible candidacy has sparked controversy across a divided country, where several other high-profile candidates have also emerged in recent weeks.

Earlier this month, several controversial candidates emerged, including the powerful military commander Khalifa Hifter and the country’s interim prime minister, Abdul Hamid Dabiba.

The long-awaited vote still faces challenges, including unresolved issues over the laws governing elections and occasional infighting between armed groups.

Other barriers include the deep rift between the east and west of the country, divided over the years by the war, and the presence of thousands of foreign fighters and soldiers.

Meanwhile, UN envoy Jan Kubis submitted his resignation last week, although it did not become public until Tuesday.

The Geneva-based diplomat serves as both a special envoy to Libya and the head of the United Nations political mission in the country.

He told the Security Council on Wednesday he was going to facilitate the change he considers important: moving the mission chief’s job to Tripoli to land a high-stakes moment for Libya.

The idea split the council during discussions in September. Western countries adopted it; Russia rejected it.

Kubis said he was prepared to continue as a special envoy through the December 24 election, although he said the United Nations had accepted his resignation, with an effective date of December 10.

When asked about the discrepancy, UN spokesman Farhan Haq said the organization will continue to work with him while we find a successor.

The job was open for about a year before being filled by Kubis, a former Slovak foreign minister and UN official in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Security Council in a statement on Wednesday stressed the importance of the upcoming election, urging an “inclusive and consultative electoral process”, warning against violence and propaganda, and calling on the Libyan people to accept the results of the vote.

Libya’s ambassador Taher El Soni said his country appreciated “all international initiatives with genuine intentions”, but added that council members need to “look at us too” and get the Libyan people out of trouble. You should let yourself find the way out.

“You have a moral responsibility towards the development in my country in the last 10 years,” he told the group. “Don’t underestimate us.”