HomeAmericaFormer track prodigy sues Nike and its former coach Alberto Salazar for...

Former track prodigy sues Nike and its former coach Alberto Salazar for $20 million

Mary Cain filed suit against the athletic apparel company in Oregon on Monday and Alberto Salazari, who ran the Nike Oregon Project until he was suspended for doping offenses and program was closed.

Beginning in 2012, Cain participated in the program at Nike Headquarters, designed to improve the fortunes of American distance runners in international competitions.

She was 16 when she informally joined the team. The following year, she accepted an endorsement contract with Nike as a professional runner for the Nike Oregon Project.

The lawsuit claims that, as head coach, Salazar “acted with the knowledge that severe emotional distress was certain or substantially certain as a result of his conduct.”

Specifically, the complaint states, “Salazar told her that she was too fat and that her breasts and bottom were too big.”

Cain’s lawyers also alleged that “Salazar and other Nike employees often made sexist and offensive remarks about female athletes, focusing on their appearance and weight, while they made or similar comments about male athletes.” Didn’t.”

Cain states in the trial that he was put on a diet that made him so hungry, he secretly stole food from his companions that he ate in the bathroom.

The complaint says Salazar publicly reprimanded her about her weight even after winning the 3,000m junior world championships in 2014, a first for an American woman, according to the suit.

The lawsuit also says that Salazar knew Cain was developing an eating disorder and intentionally bit himself, but he allegedly did nothing and ridiculed Cain for having a panic attack.

Cain’s complaints about the Nike Oregon Project first became public in 2019, when he published his story as a . shared in Seven-minute video op-ed with The New York Times.
those days, Nike tells CNN it is launching an investigation In the allegations and added, “These are deeply disturbing allegations that have not been raised before by Mary or her parents.”

The New York Times also reported that she had received an email from Salazar refuting several of Cain’s claims and saying that “he supported her health and well-being.”

The project was shut down later that year after the US Anti-Doping Agency banned Salazar for four years on charges of doping violations. Salazar appealed for the ban, which he lost last month.

In a statement to CNN on Wednesday, Nike responded, “We do not comment on the ongoing litigation. Nike is committed to positively impacting the future of sports for women and girls and we are the first in this area.” Doing more than that.”

Messages sent to Salazar requesting comment were not returned to CNN on Wednesday.

Salazar, born in Cuba, enjoyed a distinguished athletics career, winning the New York Marathon for three consecutive years between 1980–82. In 1982 he was second at the World Cross Country Championships.

He also once held American track records in the 5,000 and 10,000 meters.

.

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments