Journal Times Staff
Mount Pleasant – A child playing with a lighter opened fire, injuring one person and causing approximately $40,000 in damage.
The South Shore Fire Department responded to the 2000 block of Howe Street at approximately 8:05 p.m. Tuesday night when a structure caught fire.
Upon reaching there, firefighters extinguished the fire in an upstairs bedroom. It took about 20 minutes to get the fire under control.
One man was treated by paramedics from the South Coast Fire Department and left with minor burns.
SSFD was assisted at the scene by the Mount Pleasant Police Department and V Energy.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, from 2014 to 2018, about 30,460 fires were caused by someone playing with fire.
The NFPA reported “these fires resulted in an estimated 50 deaths, 510 injuries, and $205 million in direct property damage each year.”
According to the American Red Cross, more than 50% of fires started by children playing with fire occur in a bedroom and bedding is the first material to ignite.
The Red Cross recommends keeping cigarette lighters and matches in stores where children cannot reach them.
Additionally, parents and caregivers should talk to children about the importance of informing adults when matches or lighters are found.