At least one person killed in protest near Barrick’s Congo mine – India Times English News

At least one person has been killed in the eviction protests near Barrick Gold Corp’s Kibali gold mine in the northeastern Democratic Republic. Congo Last week, the local governor’s office said Monday.
Two villages near the mine, where residents were previously settled, have been occupied by local people in recent months,” infringing the rights of the company Kibali Gold mineHaute Ule governor’s office said in a statement.

Referring to Friday’s confrontation between the settlers and the police, the governor’s office said, “There has been gunfire and at least one death and several injuries have been confirmed.”

Earlier in the week, authorities began demolishing homes in the villages of Bandai and Mege, according to mining transparency group Congo Is Not for Sale (CNPAV). The governor suspended the evictions after deadly protests, his office said, and launched an investigation.

During the 2012-2013 construction of the mine, Kibali rehabilitated and compensated approximately 17,000 people from the area around its concession, which, according to company records, refers to it as an exclusion zone.

Peacekeepers from the United Nations Organization for Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO) stand guard as citizens watch smoke and flames as they gather with their belongings after volcanic activity at Mount Nyiragongo near the Democratic Republic of Goma (Credit: Olivia Eckland / Reuters)

Kibali, a joint venture run by Barrick, said the performance did not take place at his concession, and was not associated with the company.

A spokesman for the company told Reuters by telephone: “The apparent reason why the demonstration turned violent was the eviction of illegal settlers from a government-defined exclusion zone by the provincial government.”

The government said it had set up a commission to identify the outstanding compensation and those who should be evicted.

Kibali, which is held 45% by Barrick, 45% by AngloGold Ashanti Ltd and 10% by state-owned gold company Sokimo, produced 364,000 ounces of gold in 2020, according to its website.

Barrick’s chief executive, Mark Bristow, told Reuters earlier this month that recent geological discoveries would extend the life of the mine until 2040.